In a recent post titled “China’s story: putting the PR into the PRC” on opendemocracy.net, James Millward, author of Eurasian Crossroads: A History of Xinjiang lays out six public relations ideas on how China can repair its image with the outside world:
▪ Remember that what you say to a Chinese audience is heard by the world audience
▪ Consider how your statements sound in English
▪ Don’t employ ancient or strained historical arguments about territorial questions
▪ Do consider more recent and more realistic historical precedents
▪ Don’t deny that China has problems; instead, see how they resemble those of other countries
▪ Let reporters report: transparency engenders credibility
To read the entire post.